Recently I was tasked to paint up 12 zombies from the Walking Dead starter set for a demo day. I dragged my feet on the project as I had other more exciting projects on my paint table. When I got the figures in front of me I was pleasantly surprised how nice the detail on the figures was and no duplicate figures.
Below is a step-by-step how I painted the figures with the intent to finish quickly and make them look good for table top play.
First I primed black. Then with a large brush, I dry brushed grey. I try to use the largest brush I can, because its faster and allows for an even coat of paint.
Then I washed the figures black to darken the recesses and smooth out the grey dry brush.
I try to paint any surface that takes up a fair bit of the model first. I decided to start with the flesh. One quick coat of paint. I did not worry about getting a perfect coverage knowing some of my future steps with fix any streaky bits.
I applied pallid flesh as a “wet” dry brush, and nuln oil to the dark flesh.
To give the pallid flesh some colour tone and more variance I washed some green and the rest blue. I used a medium to thin out the wash so my model would not turn completely green or blue.
Each figure will have two primary clothing colours. I picked a few good clothing colours and painted half the figure’s clothing.
Basing is pretty messy. After painting half my clothing colours I decied to apply some of the grey citadel texture paint to the base before I got more colours on the figure.
I then applied a wash to each bit of coloured clothing. I used shade colours that complemented each peice of clothing.
I then painted a second colour to each figures clothing. I then applied a wash to each bit of coloured clothing. I used shade colours that complemented each peice of clothing.
I then added hair colours, finishing off with a wash or dry brush.
I picked out eyes with blobs of white paint, I allpied enough white so I could see it from arms length away. I then dry brushed the bases a lighter grey.
I added a black rim around the base. I think this makes a model stand out a bit more on a game board and looks tidy.
My favorite step is all the completing details. I used Citadel Blood for the Blood God and Nurgle’s Rot. Appling these two colours allowed me to cover up any mistakes or colour inconsistencies. I also added a bit of blood, flock & road markings to the bases.